EN
Choose a language
close
Български
English
Türk

Uzunköprü

Uzunkopru located in the district of Edirne is in Turkey's European border. Uzunkopru has the longest stone bridge in the world. Uzunkopru is located on the banks of the Ergene river. Uzunkopru district is a connect point between Turkey and the Balkans, which is an a strategic point on the crossroads of Europe. Uzunkopru neighbors with Greece and Meriç district in the west, Tekirdağ in the east, Kırklareli in the northeast, İpsala and Keşan districts in the south, Edirne center and Havsa district in the north. Its area is 1224 km2. The county on the Ergene plain is 18 meters above sea level and 75% of it is covered with flats. The history of Uzunkopru dates back to the Neolithic Age (8000-5500 BC). B.C. In the 1400s, it became a settlement of Trak tribes and remained like this for a long time. After Traklar, Uzunkopru changed hands many times. From the 7th century onwards, it came under Greek, Persian, Macedonian, Roman and Byzantine domination, respectively. Uzunkopru is the first Turkish city founded by the Ottoman State in Rumelia. It was founded by Sultan II. Murat under the name of the city of Ergene in 1427. II. Murat decided to build a stone bridge over the river since his army could not cross the Ergene river due to the heavy floods caused by the heavy rains and the temporary bridges made of wood were not resistant to floods. The first bridge with 360 eyes, which was started to be built in 1424 and completed in 3 years, was built by II. Murat did not find it sufficient and had it completely demolished and rebuilt (www.uzunkopru.gov.tr, 2017).

Historical and cultural sites
Tourist attractions and events
Museums and cultural institutions
Train stations and bus stations
State services and institutions
The Uzunköprü freedom monument symbolizes the transition to democracy in Turkey. The Ottoman Empire passed from absolute monarchy to parliamentary regime on July 23, 1908, with the declaration of the II. Constitutionalist. During this period, which is the turning point of the history of Turkish democracy, many democratic rights and freedoms were gained. This historic monument made as a memorial fountain monument overlooking the city side of the bridge is in this sense the first monument in Turkey.
Uzunköprü
The Uzunköprü City Museum is located in the city center. The building where the museum is located was built as a private mansion in the early 1900's. In 1939, when the tobacco production and trade in the region became important, it was used as the Tekel (Reji Building) building. On 16 December 2013, the building was restored and opened as a museum.
Uzunköprü
The Orthodox Church, built in 1875 for St. John the Baptist (John the Baptist), has a very important historical value. The building is made of rubble stone and in some parts bricks are used for ornamental purposes. As a difference from other Churches in the Uzunköprü Baptist Yahya Church, the hand-drawn ornaments are attracting the attention.
Uzunköprü
Muradiye Mosque was built in the town of Uzunkopru 573 years ago by Sultan II. Murat. It is the largest of the Ottoman cradle covered mosques. On the right front corner of the Muradiye Mosque, there is a single balcony minaret made of cut stone and a roof bar. The fountain, similar to the Otağ tent, is covered with a pyramid-shaped cone, and its upper roof is located in the courtyard of the mosque in the shape of an octagonal prism.
Uzunköprü
The water needs of citizens of Uzunköprü were ensured till the 1950s. by the fountains built during the time of Sultan II. Murat. These fountains are known as “12 Fountains” and some of them like Telli Çeşme Square, Rıza Efendi neighborhood, Halise Hatun neighborhood (Yağ Hane Fountain), Fountain across Şinasi School, Habiphoca neighborhood Fountain are still used today.
Uzunköprü
The Uzunkopru Train Station is the railway station of TCDD – Turkish State Railways located in Uzunkopru Municipality, District of Edirne. In the past, the products grown in the villages of Uzunkopru, Ipsala, Kesan and Malkara were sent to Istanbul by train, which was the capital then and it was possible easily to market and bring the goods there. The station was built on 4 April 1873 by the Rumelian Railway (CO) Company as part of the Rumelian Railway line. The historical station building’s architecture is attracting the interest of the visitors- it is made by brickwork, covered with wooden coating instead of plaster. The Uzunkopru train station has played a great role throughout the history connecting Istanbul to Europe and it became a very important transportation point in Çanakkale Wars (Gallipoli campaign). Orient Express Railway tours, which started in 1883, also passed through Uzunkopru. The station also served the Friendship Express operating between Istanbul - Thessaloniki until February 2011.
Uzunköprü
One of the most beautiful promenade areas of Uzunkopru is the Duck Lake. It is located on the road of Uzunkopru - Çöpköy district, opposite to Çamlık location. In an area of ​​125 thousand square meters, Duck Lake provides visitors with a spacious park and recreation environment. The Duck Lake area arranged by the Uzunkopru Municipality in 2018 includes walking paths for citizens who love sports in nature, playground for children, pergolas, modern picnic tables, barbecues and places where citizens can relax and drink their tea.
Uzunköprü
Uzunkopru Culture, Art and Agriculture Festival is organized every year in order to promote the historical and touristic aspects of the district at home and abroad, to provide dynamism to the economy, to create cultural and social unity and common awareness, and to ensure that local people and participants have fun.
Uzunköprü